Kevin Love is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Cleveland Cavaliers in the National Basketball Association (NBA). He was born on September 7, 1988 in Santa Monica, California.
Love played college basketball at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) for one season before entering the NBA draft in 2008. He was selected fifth overall by the Memphis Grizzlies and was later traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves, where he spent the first six seasons of his career.
In 2014, Love was traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers and played a key role in the team’s 2016 NBA Championship. He is a five-time NBA All-Star and has won several other awards during his career, including the NBA’s Most Improved Player Award in 2011.
Off the court, Love is known for his advocacy work on mental health issues. In 2018, he opened up about his own struggles with anxiety and depression, and has since launched the Kevin Love Fund to support organizations working on mental health issues.
- Love was born into a basketball family. His father, Stan Love, played college basketball at the University of Oregon and had a brief professional career in the NBA. His uncle, Mike Love, was a member of the Beach Boys.
- Love was a highly recruited high school player and was named the Gatorade National Player of the Year in 2007. He led his high school team to a state championship and was also a member of the United States national team that won the gold medal at the FIBA Americas U18 Championship in 2006.
- In his one season at UCLA, Love was named a first-team All-American and helped lead the Bruins to the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament.
- In his NBA career, Love has been known for his versatile skillset as a power forward. He is an excellent rebounder and has a good outside shot, which has made him a threat from beyond the arc. He has also been praised for his ability to make smart passes and play solid defense.
- In addition to his mental health advocacy work, Love has also been involved in several charitable initiatives throughout his career. He has donated money to support children’s hospitals and education programs, and has also worked to raise awareness about issues such as homelessness and hunger.
- Love has been open about his personal life as well. He has been in a long-term relationship with model Kate Bock and the two got engaged in 2020. He has also talked about his interests outside of basketball, which include fashion, music, and reading.